CARROT CAKE Cupcakes
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Yield: 18 cupcakes
I don't keep much in my kitchen in terms of baking ingredients so I always end up Googling recipes and piecing them together as I please based on what I have. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's an epic failure...but it's always fun! This time, it worked!
These muffins are the perfect combination of sweetness and decadence!
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups walnut or pecan meal/flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups carrot, grated
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup date paste
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (refrigerated over night)
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2-3 tbs finely chopped bacon (for the frosting)
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add carrots and mix well using a fork.
- Pour remaining wet ingredients into the large mixing bowl and use an electric mixer (I use my KitchenAid with the flat beater) to mix until well combined. At this point you can add in the chopped nuts or raisins if you want to. You can attempt to mix by hand but the date paste and coconut oil makes this a little difficult.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out the batter and drop into the openings of an ungreased muffin pan.
- Bake at 350F on the center rack for about 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Allow to cool completely before adding frosting.
- Open the refrigerated can of coconut milk and scoop out the solidified coconut from the top of the can, leaving the remaining water behind.
- Combine the solidified coconut milk with the maple syrup, cinnamon, shredded coconut, and bacon (optional) and whisk well using an electric mixer. (I use my KitchenAid with the wire whip).
- Using a small spoon, or a decorating bag if you have one (I don't), scoop the frosting out by the heaping spoonful and plop it on top of each muffin. Add a piece of bacon for garnish and ENJOY the heck out of that little sucker!