Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Yield: 12" round
Folks, this stuff is the bee's knees! And I've included a a dairy-free version...doesn't get much better than that!
Side note: I recently discovered that "bee's knees" may have derived from "business"...meaning this stuff is the BIZ-NASS!!!!
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups cornmeal, medium ground
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1.5 cups (12 oz) sour cream
- small can of corn, drained (you can use more or less it's up to you!)
- 4 tbs butter, melted + a little more for greasing
- 8 tbs (4 oz) raw honey + a little more for drizzling
- 12" cast iron skillet, or 8" square/round
- 2 mixing bowls
- silicone spatula
If you have issues with dairy, I recommend plain non-dairy yogurt (like So Delicious Cultured Almond Milk Yogurt) instead of sour cream and ghee instead of butter.
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Grease your skillet or baking pan and set aside.
- Combine all of your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Do the same for the wet ingredients in a separate, smaller bowl.
- Pour the wet stuff over the dry and mix well.
- Using your spatula, transfer the batter into your greased skillet or pan and shake the skillet to smooth the surface out until it's all uniform in the dish.
- Drizzle some honey over the top. Hell yes.
- Place on the middle rack of you oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Enjoy! This is the perfect time of year for homemade cornbread on the side of a big bowl of chili!